Friday, August 23, 2013

Random Nineties Nostalgia


So I was sitting here thinking about music. One of the rare times I'm not actually listening to it, I know...

 Yes. Yes, I am an addict. My name is Jess. Hi
-raises hand- 

I've always liked music but I don't think it ever really hit me just how powerful it can be until I was in high-school. Or to date myself even further, until Collective Soul hit the airwaves along with Bush, No Doubt, 311, Live, Nirvana, Candlebox, Third Eye Blind, Silverchair... Shall I go on? ;-)

Music saved my life. I was nothing but a geeky girl in 9th grade who wore her hair in a side ponytail with bangs and wore Duckhead clothing, constantly...no, seriously. It was bad.
I listened to Prince, Madonna & Janet Jackson (don't get me wrong I mean no offense to these obviously talented artists. I'll still get down on "When Doves Cry", "Material Girl" & "Black Cat" in a heartbeat.)

Then suddenly I heard Collective Soul's "Shine" on the radio one day and my whole world changed. That guitar riff rocked my socks and I was in love! My tastes changed, expanded and my world suddenly started to open up, even if only slightly. I was still a geek but a marginally cooler geek who rocked flannel, wide leg jeans and neon green Sketchers. That's when I really started paying attention to music. I would usually end up having the latest album by a band before my friends and I know they got sick of me talking about it constantly. "Oh! Have you heard the new -insert 90s Grunge/Alt band here- song? You gotta hear this!!"

I can even proudly say that I was the first girl in my school to rock the Angela Chase hairstyle and color from "My So-Called Life"

Music has made me the weird, quirky, random, open minded, tolerant, hippie, goth dancing, peaceful punk rocking psycho ever. And i'm happy about who I am.

So music can be a powerful force in a person's life. It can inspire change and creativity, it gives hope and comfort when nothing else can, and it can dredge up long lost emotions and moments
from our past that we love or love to hate. Music is indeed the most powerful force in my life and I'm thankful everyday that I am able to enjoy it.

What song changed your life?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing back memories for me Jess. And can't forget "Purple Rain" by Prince either.

    ReplyDelete